Monday, February 11, 2013

Between a mirror and the self - Reflections of the year that's about to end


I wrote this having endured the madness that was conjured in the name of the apocalypse. 

2012. 

The world WAS  supposed to have ended. According to some bloke's pasty recollection and interpretations of a legacy left by a long gone civilization, perfectly hyped up by the media, hustling the populace to frenzy along its way. On the surface, it’s been just like another year, only that it seemed to have aged a little faster as our own bio clocks started rushing through. You know what they say, the older you get, everything else slows down except for time. 

As I started the engine this morning, I realised that the year is about to pass on to something even better, well at least, for me, which of course is an absolutely vain/self centred factor-laced thought. I recollected the times in the past; the dawn of a new year would have been greeted with a mixed sense of gloom and doom, always looking back at the year weighing up on chances and experiences that were screwed up, knowingly or unintentionally.

This time, it’s going to be different. Why not look back in reflection of all the good things that has happened, and build on for the future?

This reminds me of a song, written by a chap from Manchester. Noel Gallagher's "Don’t look back in anger" perfectly summed up my thoughts in the morning. I'm sharing just parts of the song here:

Slip inside the eye of your mind 
Don't you know you might find 
A better place to play 
You said that you've never been
But all the things that you've seen 
They slowly fade away 
So I'll start a revolution from my bed 
''cause you said the brains I had went to my head 
Step outside, summertime's in bloom 
Stand up beside the fireplace 
Take that look from off your face 
You ain't ever gonna burn my heart out 
And so, Sally can wait 
She knows it's too late as we're walking on by 
Her soul slides away 
But don't look back in anger 
I heard you say 
 ------

Why not celebrate, cherish and laugh over at the positives? 

Here's to you, 2012. You've been a great teacher, a source of inspiration, and truly a remarkable friend. 

(raise glass; oh come on, even if it’s imaginary!)

And say hello to my little friend.... No wait...Say hello to 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment